Thursday, October 22, 2009

Never enough sleep...

How did I end up with kids that are such poor sleepers?? Although I complain about Brady getting up at 6 a.m. everyday, at least he's in a good mood when he does get up. And, although I don't really consider 7 a.m. to be late, he does sometimes "sleep in" when he's extra tired. What I've realized is that Drew and Mallory have yet to grasp that important concept - if you wake up and you're still tired, go back to sleep!!

Example #1 - Drew. From the moment he gets up in the morning until he goes to sleep at night, he complains about being tired. I tell him to sleep later in the morning or take a nap - sometimes he does one or the other but it's never enough. And, of course, the only way he gets a nap is if he falls asleep in the car. If that happens, I can usually get him out without waking him, and he will stay alseep if I put him on the couch (not in his bed, heaven forbid!). This morning he got up at 6 a.m. and was complaining about being tired by 7.

Example #2 - Mallory. She generally goes to bed around 8 p.m. and gets up between 6-7 a.m. A typical nap would be around an hour a day. Often, it's less and occassionally it's more. Yesterday she was up by 6 a.m. and took almost an hour nap at school. So, she was in bed by 7:30 p.m. last night since that's obviously not enough sleep for a 14 month old (apparently someone needs to tell her that!). To my dismay, she was whining by 6 a.m. again this morning, which means she was probably up by 5:30 a.m. I thought putting kids down for bed EARLIER was supposed to help them sleep LATER?! Now it's 8:30 a.m. and she is rolling around on the ground with her blankie and paci...

*** After I posted this, I decided it wasn't really fair to say they are "poor" sleepers. Frustrating is probably more accurate because there are definitely things they do well. Although it took a lot of hard work, they DO all sleep through the night. They also go to bed at night generally without complaint. For both of those things, I am VERY grateful! Of course, I know that tonight will be unpleasant since I just put both of those things in writing...lol.

No comments: