Sunday, January 2, 2011

Australia

I've spent many, many hours this week researching what I want to do in Australia.  Bryan will be visiting the refineries near Brisbane and Perth, which are on opposite coasts.  He will fly to Brisbane first, and my mom and I are flying into Sydney the following day.  So, we will spend three days there while he is working.  Then, we are all meeting in Cairns.  Staying there will give us the opportunity to see the Great Barrier Reef and the rainforest.  After a few days, we are flying back to Sydney and will have a couple more days to sight see before I head home and he heads to the other refinery.

My flights are booked - both to Australia and within Australia.  I think I've decided where we are going to stay in both cities, although I'm waiting for a couple of email responses before I book.  My list of things to do is fairly long, but I'm trying to avoid anything that requires a lot of driving time... esp. since we are already having to fly between Sydney and Cairns.  My cousin actually visited Australia a year or two ago, so I am taking suggestions/advice from her.  A friend of mine also connected me with someone he knows that lives in Australia, so I'm waiting to see what kind of suggestions he offers.

What I've learned so far is that there is a lot to do and no matter how long I'm there, always more to see! What else is new, right?  The other thing is that everything is expensive and the exchange rate right now is a lot worse than it was when I started looking around at Australia this summer.  However, I'm trying to keep in mind that I will most likely never make it back to Australia... my plans right now include going to an opera in Sydney, doing a bike tour of the city, going on a pub crawl (got to get in some things for Bryan!), snorkeling on the reef, white water rafting, and visiting the Blue Mountains.  I was really interested in doing a bridgeclimb of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, until I found out it was $198 per person! Anyone have any work they'd like me to do so I can afford that?? lol

No comments: