Monday, April 4, 2011

Australia, Day Five

We spent this morning in the village of Kuranda, which is surrounded by World Heritage rainforest.  We shopped a little, visited Koala Gardens, and took the skyrail over the rainforest.


Mom and I were both thrilled to hold a koala. Bryan
opted for the python, strictly for the sake of the boys...
we knew they would be super excited to see the pic!


Feeding some wallabies 
(same family as kangaroos, just a bit smaller)


Croc pic for the boys :)

Heading down to catch the skyrail

There were two stops on the skyrail -
the first was Barron Falls.  How cool
is that rainbow?

The first pic of the falls is from a lookout point,
this one is from the skyrail

A little perspective - the skyrail was 
surprisingly steep in some areas


When we arrived at the terminal, a white water rafting company picked up my mom and Bryan for a half day trip down the Barron River.  My sunburn was bad enough that I knew there was no way I could do it, but I didn't want them to miss out.  They did purchase some pictures, but we don't have them in hand yet.  Interestingly enough, they actually mail you a cd of the pics - doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but that's how it is!

The rest of the day only went downhill for me :( Of course, I didn't let it ruin my trip by any means! I rode the cableway back to the village, only to find out that all the shops closed at 3:30 p.m.  It was about 3:15 p.m. by the time I made it there.  My plan was to ride the bus back to Cairns (which is how we got out there in the morning), but it didn't come until 4:30 p.m.  Thankfully, I had my kindle with me - there was a park nearby so I sat and read while I waited for the bus.  As the time passed, I was getting more and more worried - what if the bus didn't show up?  The place was pretty much deserted... I would have had no clue how to get home.  It wasn't like there were taxis passing by.  Anyway, to make a long story short, the bus finally came (about 20 minutes late), and I did make it back.  Let's just say I was very grateful that I made it back in one piece!

No comments: