Sunday, April 3, 2011

Australia, Day Four

On today's agenda - snorkeling!  I had never been and was a little apprehensive.  But, I figured - what kind of sense would it make to go to Australia and not see the Great Barrier Reef??  Bryan and I took a dramamine for the ride out, just in case. I thought it would be pretty dumb to go out and get sick, so we opted to be proactive. lol

As we got onboard, we were handed flippers, a snorkel and mask, and a wetsuit.  We discovered that the wetsuits were actually buoyant, so that was cool!  You could literally float on top of the water with just the wetsuit holding you up.  We went to two different reef sites - at the first we only saw coral and fish.  At the second, we also saw a stingray and followed around a turtle for quite a while.

Unfortunately, our underwater camera died after the first snorkel, so we don't have too many pictures.  There was a photographer on board, which is where my mom's picture came from.  We opted not to buy any of the ones of Bryan, and she never took my picture... not sure how that happened.  The one thing I was very happy about was the turtle picture I got from one of the other snorkelers on board.  He emailed it to me the next day, and I was very appreciative!








This will NOT be going in the scrapbook, but
I felt I should have it to look back upon...

Just in case you were wondering, I did put sunscreen on.... twice!  However, I thought the area above my knee was covered by the wetsuit, but obviously not :(  It only got one application, although I will say that my calves were almost as badly burned, and they got a second coat.  I think it's safe to say this is the worst sunburn I've ever had.  I've heard several people say the sun here is different than in other parts of the world... I guess I believe them.  When we went out snorkeling at the second site, it was overcast and even rained a bit, so imagine my surprise at how badly my legs were burned.  We stopped off on the way home and got some spray and aloe vera - however much I paid for it, it was worth it!

No comments: